Culinary Arts Internship (Funded)
Starting Autumn 2016
The Leuven Institute for Ireland in Europe's presently recruiting a Culinary Arts Intern to complete a funded placement on our campus in Leuven. Our ideal candidate is someone who is completing, or has recently completed, their studies in the area of Culinary Arts or Cheffing and is serious about forging a career in Culinary Arts.
We are looking for an enthusiastic trainee who has:
- Some experience in the following areas: food development, nutrition, health and safety, catering systems, gastronomy
- Undertaken some level of practical work experience in the past
- The ability to work as part of a team and individually in a fast paced environment
- Excellent punctuality skills
- Fluent English
Exposure to cuisines for the following areas:
- Fine dining restaurant - training in food-pairing, matching tastes, maximisation of flavours, basic training in: stocks, soups, sauces, meats, poultry, fish, shellfish, vegetables, fruit, dairy.
- Student audiences - how to adapt a recipe towards large quantities and smaller budgets.
- Audience of conference members - how to please an international audience, in terms of quality, quantity and budget management.
- Executing kitchen tasks – being able to recognise problems and implement solutions – HACCP- understanding kitchen tasks and planning
- Explaining the economic model behind each of the three kitchens and their menus
- Understanding and managing the complex relationship between food costs and staff costs
- Food pairing, Alto-Shaam, smoking products, being creative with ingredients, vacuum technology, new techniques for old recipes
What We Offer:
- 4-6 month paid placement
- 40 hours work experience per week
- 10 days paid leave
- Private accommodation, meals/food vouchers and laundry facilities
- Weekly allowance of €125.00 is payable
Apply before 5pm, Thursday 30th June 2016 with CV and Covering Letter to David Grant, Programmes Manager, The Leuven Institute for Ireland in Europe